When left untreated, urinary tract infection or UTI can be painful or even lead to more serious conditions. Here are ways you can manage UTI to relieve pain and stop an infection from getting worse:
- Drink lots of water immediately once symptoms appear.
Hydration helps wash out bacteria, especially during the first 24 hours.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol, and soft drinks.
These can irritate your bladder and increase discomfort.
- Urinate frequently and completely, making sure to empty your bladder.
- Take a hot bath when needed to relieve pain.
- Lie down with a heating pad over your abdomen or genital area, making sure to remove the pad before sleeping.
If symptoms persist, make sure to visit your doctor so he or she can recommend the best course of medication to treat your condition.